What is Mechanical Soft Diet (MSD)?
Mechanical Soft Diet is used when you trouble swallowing or chew food. The main reason to have this kind of Mechanised Diet is to prevent choking, breathing aspiration, or food particles.
The Word Mechanical Defines the process of making the food easy to eat, smaller, and softer by the usage of Kitchen appliances like grinders, blenders, and even food processors
So Mechanical diets are followed when someone has the following difficulties like 1) Having trouble to chew 2) Mouth Surgery 3) Had lost Feeling in parts of the mouth
Why is Mechanical Soft Diet More Related To Dysphagia
Dysphagia is a medical condition in which it feels hard to swallow food. There are many medical conditions that cause Dysphagia. It can be short-term or even chronic in nature.
If one has Dysphagia, His doctor may recommend a Mechanical Soft Diet that uses home appliances like grinders, blenders to make the food easy to swallow.
So you would wonder what kinds of food should I include in my Mechanical Soft Diet right!. Yes No, let us Move into the Types of Food that we should include in our diet. But before that let us know other medical conditions when Mechanical Soft Diet is prescribed as a diet plan.
Reasons for Suggesting Mechanical Soft Diet
As seen Above Dysphagia makes swallowing harder and Mechanical Soft Diet acts as a solution to it. This medical condition may lead you to to the risk of weight loss, malnutrition, and dehydration.
There are many reasons other than Dysphagia, where one has trouble swallowing food. Some medical conditions are :
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Neurological Disorder – Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson’s Disease
- Sjogren Syndrome
- Zenker’s diverticulum
So if one has Dysphagia or any of the above-mentioned Medical Conditions, your doctor is likely to recommend you Mechanical Soft Diet.
Difference between Mechanical Vs Pureed Soft Diet Vs Liquid Diet
Mechanical Soft Diet is like other diets which are suggested for people who feel hard to swallow food or have some digestive problems.
These food diets are most restrictive in nature, they limit food groups based on attributes, like fat and Fiber content.
The Main Difference – The difference between Pureed and Mechanical Soft Diet is that the Mechanical Soft Diet tries to focus on reducing the amount of chewing while on the other hand soft diet does not.
This acts as the main theory behind both diets. Pureed Diet is for those who suffer from dif=gestive disorder or bowel disease.
A soft diet is also taken before Medical tests such as Colonoscopy and endoscopy.
A full liquid diet is also there fr those who cannot swallow or chew food completely. People who are affected with bowel obstruction are limited to a liquid diet.
Also before surgery liquid diet is the preferred one. If one is following a Mechanical diet it can be easily simplified to a Liquid diet by just adding some water to make it thin.
Benefits of Having a Mechanical Soft Diet
A soft Mechanical diet helps one to get all nutrients required without the need of chewing and to swallow easily.
Doctors usually suggest the diet when one has Dysohagia, sore throat, dental pain, or even during Parkinson’s disease, etc.
A soft mechanical Diet is also recommended when one has undergone surgery that involves the Digestive Tract.
So Mechanical Soft Diet acts as a transition stage for one to move to his regular diet after a liquid diet.
The Normal Duration To Follow it
The duration of Soft Mechanical Diet is only short term, such as while one recovers from illness or injury
There are also cases where Mechanical Soft Diet becomes a long-term solution. If you had a severe jaw injury – in which you lost all your teeth. Then you should follow your doctor’s advice and be well-nourished throughout the process.
Also seek help from a good nutritionist so that, he or she can help you to have a balanced diet plan.
How Mechanical Soft Diet Works?
The main reason Why a Mechanical Soft Diet is followed is to avoid chewing and swallowing foods like raw vegetables, meat, soft bread, and more.
So the diet works very simply and clean – it just swaps hard chewing food with easy chewing or no chewing food.
Foods like pudding are safe for Mechanical Soft Diet ( soft food diet ). We can also eat vegetables unless it is in good consistency.
So the foods are limited by their texture rather than ingredients. So it becomes harder to eat without the required tools to make them soft and easy to chew.
What to Eat, What to not!
The golden rule – if a food requires a lot of chewing then it is not a Mechanical Soft Diet Food. So at least try to make it into its simpler form to consume it
Liquids play the main role in Mechanical Soft Diet however the presence of dry fruits like cashew, pistachio should all be neglected. Some foods that we can consume are
Vegetable and Fruit – Vegetables can be consumed by peeling them, cooked, smashed, and made into a puree form. Fruit like avocado is ready to eat form. Before eating any fruit or vegetable be sure that you removed all the seeds.
Cereals and Grains – Cereals like oatmeal, grits work well with a soft food diet. Soft bread can also be used with a salad made up of chicken, veggies, and more.
The main thing in soft food diet is that one has to have the food in nonchewing form – That is what one needs to eat.
Diary – Dairy products like cottage cheese, yogurt, low-fat milk can be consumed. Milk with low fat is easily digestible too.
Dessert and Chocolates – Cookies, custards can be consumed unless they consist of any hard chewing ingredients.
Ice Cream, sorbet is good for soft food diet as it is easy to consume and it is delicious too.
One needs to be sure that he or she consumes all the nutrients that the body needs. Like
- Vitamin and Minerals
Starches and sugar are carbohydrates and these carbs should make half of your calories that we eat. Some important carbohydrate sources are
- Whole Grains
Protein is very important for muscle building. It helps the body to heal after surgery. Some Protein Sources are
- Protein Powders
Fiber is one of the important sources of nutrient one need to take. Soluble and insoluble are the two types of Fibers. Soluble Fiber includes barley, wheat, skinless fruits, and oatmeal. Soluble Fibers helps you slow your digestion process.
insoluble fibers are found in legumes, whole grains, and seeds. However, they blended into its simpler form using its Specific tools. Even though made into a liquid form it consists of the required fiber in it.
Fats are also necessary for our diet. Some good sources are
- Vegetable Oils
- Baked Goods
- Fish oil
- Palm oil
Vitamins and Minerals
People who have a well-balanced diet has all the required amount of vitamins and minerals. So one doesn’t require vitamin supplements to match them.
Mechanical Soft Diet Meal Plan
|Meal or Snack||Puréed Diet|
List of Foods in Their Respective Categories.
|Type of Food||Include||Avoid|
|Milk and Dairy Products||
|Fruits That are Needed||
|Starches and Others||
|Meat and Poultry||
|Fat and Other sources||
So let us see some cooking Procedures for MSD
- The first and foremost thing is that you need to make sure you have all the tools that are needed to make the Food into its simpler form. This is very important because without these appliances it will become time-consuming to finish the Work.
- You can use the Knife to chop the vegetables and also cut down meat into fine pieces. After cutting into small pieces, they can be easily softened by placing them in the oven or by boiling, smashing, or cooking on the stove.
- Kitchen gadgets like food processors can make the work simple for you by just making the food softer in minutes.
- As we have seen in the Nutrition guide, we must ensure that all Nutritions are included in our diet. We can whey protein for protein addition into our diet in an easy way.
- When it Comes to ice- creams you can consume them in Correct Chillness as a precautionary measure.
- Follow some Safety Measures – Cooking for MSD is easy and consuming them is easier than any other diet. It is Easy Chewing and Easy swallowing Diet. But things may get complicated if not done with full concentration. We need to boil the vegetables good enough, half-boiled vegetables are not easy to chew and it may cause choking. When it comes to meat, people fail to cut them into minute pieces, this is also a great mistake done by many. So be careful while preparing the Food.
Is Soft Mechanical Diet Budget Friendly
MSD is a Diet plan that is limited with its choices for Food. So more than the grocery items we choose for Daily consumption, it is the Appliances and the Tools that we need to buy cost more.
However, Purchasing them is a one-time investment and you don’t need to invest again in these products for a year or more.
Mostly a blender can be purchased for about $20 dollars. Food processors may cost about $80 dollars.
The knife also plays a vital role in MSD food Preparation. This may cost about $20 dollars.
As well when it comes to grocery it may vary between $200- 300 dollars per month. ( Higher end ).
Frequently Asked Questions.
- What can you eat on a mechanical soft diet? – All food that can be pureed or made into liquid form is best suited for MSD. Some of the foods are dairy products (milk and yogurt), Cereals, and Oatmeal in its pureed Form, Meat can also be pureed and moreover, Protein Powders can also be taken for all-round nutrient
- What is the difference between a soft diet and a mechanical soft diet?- Soft Diet is a diet that includes food that is easily swallowable with minimal chewing. Mechanical Soft Diet is Making this process using appliances and tools such as food Processor and blenders.
- Is Rice on a mechanical soft diet? – Yes we can include rice in our MSD Food list, but the thing is it should be in a pureed form for easy chewing and swallowing
- What are examples of soft foods? – Examples of soft food are fruits and vegetables that are peeled smashed and seedless, Milk products like yogurt, ice- creams, and more. You can see the complete list in the article mentioned above.
- Are pancakes considered soft food? – Pancakes that are moisturized with syrup to make them soft and easy chewable can be included in MSD Diet.
- What are the best soft foods to eat? – Cream of wheat and cream of rice, Plain pasta, and noodles, White bread, Plain white crackers), Applesauce, Cooked fruits without skins or seeds, Cooked white rice, Mashed potatoes, and boiled potatoes without skin.
- What can you not eat on a mechanical soft diet? – The foods that you should Not eat on Mechanical Soft Diet are nuts, fruits with seeds, chunky peanut butter, meat that are not cut properly, Vegetables that are not cooked properly
Other References You can Look
You can Also refer UWHealth for Some more Details – As an Alternative Artice
So Mechanical Soft Diet is solemnly based on the Consistency Rather than the Ingredients. It is a Non-chewing, easy swallowing diet for Medical Conditions.
Mostly this diet is Followed By people for a short period of time to recover from illness or Severe injuries like jaw injuries.
So In this article, you had seen An Allrounder article About Mechanical Soft Diet.
Thank You For Reading this article – I am (AR) and A Share would be Marvelous For me.
For more article, you can visit – Healthcruncher.com